Monday, January 23, 2017

my potus

I was 11 when Barack Obama was elected president. I was still in public school and I was in the 6th grade when he got inaugurated, we watched it happen in class.
I saw my teacher cry and being that young I don't think that I was fully aware of the significance of Barack Obama. As I got older I accepted having a black president as fact, it wasn't unusual or odd, it just was.
Before him the only president I remembered having was George Bush, so I didn't have a long line of white men in my memory, while I thought it was cool I still wasn't aware of the power that stood behind him being president.
Growing up with Barack Obama as president made him a fantasty of racism ending and everything finally being alright. It wasn't true because hate crimes and (black) people being shot by people and other citizens, without repercussions has risen during the time of former President Obama. People are still racist lol.
I never thought about him not being in office anymore, he was always just "The President". Even when I voted for the first time last year, I still didn't think about a replacement being had. I thought when I grew old and didn't pay attention to news and politics and the ways of the world, then maybe someone would take his spot.
I guess since Barack Obama was the president of my childhood, I thought he would be the magically president to carry on throughout life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm older and still didn't consider much about what happens after. I didn't really see or want to see an "after".

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Commenting!