Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A desk for my thoughts...

Recently, I got into decorating my room.
It started with my wanting a chair for my room (which I still haven't got).
A simple recliner.
Fabric or leather, something dark brown to match the other furniture in my room. 
Or even a settee (I would really like this one) which is like a small loveseat or a cushioned bench.
 Not this print or color but I definitely would like this, it's the perfect size and cushion is great!!
And I wanted lights hung up on my wall, which my cousin helped out with.
chalkboard, colored lights & ethnic textiles. my girls would love this room!
And I still don't have hung up, I just got the hooks a couple days ago.
And I really hope they work!
But something that I didn't know I wanted was a desk, but I found one for $15.
That's a good price right?
After my daddy bought it, I realized that the drawers needed sliders (idk what they're called, but the thing that the drawer slides on) and when my daddy bought the sliders, we realized we needed to make them.
I thought, "Yeah, right"
But when we went to Home Depot to get the piece of wood, I realized he was serious!
We were actually gonna cut a piece of wood to the tool we needed.
I thought he was crazy.
The left is what we started out with and the right is what we made.
 First, I had to mark the piece of wood and then cut it, my daddy showed me how.
Here I am making the original wood thinner in width, the thickness was perfect!
Displaying photo 2.JPG
Cutting wood with this loud machine was an experience for sure.
I really didn't want to cut my fingers off.
Displaying photo 3.JPG
We had to cut the grooves in the side for the drawer to slide through.
My daddy measured how high the saw needed to stick out, so that the saw wouldn't slice through the wood.
Here are the grooves we cut, the left piece is the one we made and the right is the original.
My daddy decided to cut the part in the middle his self.
He cut the wood on the side and then went over it again in the middle, until it was nice and smooth.
My daddy had to compare it to the original to make sure it was juuuust right.
The finished product is a fantastic copy if I do say so myself.
And it worked great, my daddy rubbed a bar of soap on the wood and the metal piece on the drawer to help it slip.
It actually worked!
We screwed the wood pieces to the desk and slid the drawers in and it was ready to go!
Here is my desk, I couldn't decide if I wanted to paint it or not, so I just bought stain markers to cover the scratches for now.

The total cost for this desk was $25
$15 for the desk inself
$5 for the wood piece we made into the drawer gliders
$5 for the stain markers, which I haven't used yet in the above picture.
I think that's a pretty good price, have you ever recycled a piece of furniture?

4 comments:

  1. I probably have but can't think of what it was. But your desk looks great....if only I could use it sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your desk is really nice. and I may have painted a piece of furniture before but that's as for as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you looked cool doing whatever you was doing with that wood with your little shades on =)=)=)♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, thank you...maybe
    @radiance
    THank you! lol
    @sunshine
    THank you, girl!!!
    @taavia

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Commenting!