Monday, August 27, 2012

Hey Now.

Today is the first day of school for some people.
I home-school so it doesn't really effect me.
For the last couple of years I've felt sad about not going, thinking I'm missing out on something.
It's usually just on the first day of school.
Then I try to list the things I think I'm missing out on.
One year it was the 8th grade prom, I got over it because I'm sure we went on a cruise later that year.
I mean I still got to dress up, and eat good food.
So I crossed that out.
Having friends! Okay, this one is a little trickier to cross out. But people always try to use this as an excuse for us to go to school.
The last time I was in school was 6th grade, so it's not like I've never been.
Even in 6th grade you can have haters. A few girls I think didn't like me, boys too for some reason.
A girl once asked me ,"Hey,can you help me with this math? I hate math.". I said ,"okay".
Thinking I could help her while I did my own.
"Okay, this is how you solve so-n-so..."
"Ugh, this is too hard" was her reply "Can I just copy your work? I can learn better that way."
Now, even in 6th grade I was giving her the side-eye...
"How would you know if my answers are right?" I said.
"I don't care about that."
"No, you need to know how to do your own work."
"Whatever,just let me copy."
So when I see she's going to copy anyway I just put down the rest of the answers wrong.
Then I erased them later and redid the whole sheet. As I look back I realized I shouldn't have went through all that work, just move on to a different sheet. But I did want to teach her a lesson.

Anyway, one of the next times I see the SAME girl. I decide to be friendly with a "Hi."
"Hey, ugly." Then she watches my reaction.
There was none.
I couldn't even...
She said this with a burnt 2 inch ponytail, ashy skin, and while chewing on her cheeto dusted nails.
Can you see why I didn't grace her with a reply.

Another girl said one day, "Look at Tiara's cute little bow, aww look at the baby."
Dude, really? Is that the best you can come up with?

One boy said, while I was talking to someone else "Yeah, Tiara's annoying right?"
I wasn't talking to you.

One boy said I looked like Snoop Dogg, since I was wearing plaits that day I guess.
The same one asked did I have a mustache.

But despite these few encounters(and many more) I did have a couple friends.
One that got jealous of me and another girl being friends and tried to "steal" her.
One that we become friendly later on.
One that I kept in touch with for a few months when her phone number got changed. And she didn't tell me.
._.'
Having real friends in school is something I don't think I really had.
The people I had for friends were just ones you talked to in school or sat at the lunch table with.
Nobody I would really tell secrets to or anything like that.
So can cross that out.

The rest is easy. I don't want to be in school for 8 hours a day. Or wear an uniform. Or be with people I don't like.
And yes I realize that in the real world I will work with people I don't like.
But I already know how to deal with that.

I realize this post is turning into a ramble.
I know how to talk to people, look 'em in the eye, stand up straight.
All that. I believe I know how to solve a problem.
I'm not totally clueless.
But it is funny to hear most of the same statements/questions whenever I meet someone new and tell them...
"Oh, I don't go to school. I home-school."
First there is the amazed/confused look.
Then...
"How does that work?"
"I wish I could home-school my kids, but it's too much work."
"Wow, how did you get so lucky!?"
"Do you watch t.v. all day?"
"Do you watch up at noon?"
"I wish I was home-school."
"I couldn't home-school, I need people."
"I couldn't deal with my kids for that long."
"Man,y'all lucky."
"Why do y'all do that?"
"Do you have to take test, to like go to the next grade?"
"How do you know if you, like know it?"
"I wish I was home-school, can your mama teach me?"
"Never mind, I need people."
"How do y'all have friends?"
And they seem surprised I'm regular.
Talk about being around people, they have to all be the same, or they can't understand.
I could talk (ramble) about this all day,but...
I'm tired of typing.

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you ever voice your concerns about going to school when I ask you? I've always told y'all if you ever truly felt like there was something that you were "missing", we could discuss it. You know I'm not closed minded. You can always talk to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee you are going to have me lookin at these blog everyday girl you and Rae are too funny to me yall keep me laughing make my time go by while at work. I am so proud to call you my niece :). Keep up the good work you are amazing

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Commenting!